Wednesday, February 11, 2009

First Writing from Down Under

At long last I am writing to you from the heart of Melbourne (well actually from the heart of Carlton, a suburb stuck right outside the center of the city. Much like Clayton and St. Louis. Sorry if you don't get the example). I had a few complaints about the last entry, mainly it was too short... So in order to maintain the satisfaction level of my dedicated fan base, I will be verbose and attempt to draw out all of my thoughts.

So first up, the journey from San Antonio to Melbourne. I had to do a last minute packing job right(surprise surprise). I had finished packing about 11:30 am and was just double checking the bag requirements and saw that the combined size of my two bags was too large. So I had to steal my dad's smaller suitcase and repack. It took a little bit of time (who is counting?) and I kept my family waiting but the operation was a success.

So after I finished repacking, I had my last meal (with my family) along the Guadalupe river (halfway between SA and Austin). It was strange to leave knowing that I wouldn't see them for six months (the same feeling was present as I said goodbye to all my friends). I hopped in the car and drove with my Mom to the Austin airport for my flight. I got through security with about 30 minutes to spare (gotta love that check-in closes 90 min before departure). So I board the plane to LAX and plop down in my seat. Then my next door neighbor comes to claim his seat.

He looked oddly familiar and I was not sure why. I introduce myself and he tells me that his name is Taylor. We make small talk and then progressively bigger talk for the next two hours. So to bring you into the loop, my seat mate was Taylor Kitsch, an actor who was in the TV show Friday Night Lights and is playing Gambit in the upcoming X-Men movie. So you probably have a few questions and I will attempt to answer some of them.

Q (that you are thinking in your mind): Since you really liked the TV show Friday Night Lights, how did you not recognize him right away?

A: He had lost a lot of weight because he was preparing for a role in his next film, The Bang Bang club, about a group of photographers in South Africa during the time of apartheid. So his face looked familiar but he had lost a lot of muscle mass.

Q: Why was he in coach?

A: He was going out to LA on his own dime and he said that he had to watch his spending.

Q: What do you talk about?

A: Our families, our backgrounds, our approaches to life, some of our experiences in service. He was very passionate about an organization called the African Children's Choir. He had spent some time with the organization in Kenya and Uganda getting to know the director and the children who are a part of the organization. From his experiences and from a quick website view, the organization has been doing a huge amount of good over the past twenty plus years. I spoke about my experiences in Ghana working for Unite for Sight. The biggest take away, there is so much need in the world both internationally and in the States.

Q: How would you describe him?

A: A very down to earth and genuine guy. As you all know, I am not apt to use those words unless I truly mean them. I will have to go watch X Men when it comes out in May.

So we landed in LAX and said goodbye and parted ways. It was my first time in LAX which is a freaking humongous place (these words just don't do it justice). The layover was a few hours and then I jumped on board for the longest flight of my known life (15 hours).

As it turns out, one of my plane neighbors was also a study abroad student from the States. We continued to talk and I find out that she is going to Melbourne University and staying at the same apartment building as I am (she actually lives on the same floor, just down the hallway).

It pretty much feels like freshman year again: meeting tons of new people, doing anything that pops up, and getting orientated to a new environment. And the funny part is that my pre-orientation has not even started yet (I do love me my ice breakers, a necessary evil). My pre-o starts in two days, and then international orientation, then some other "compulsory" stuff and then classes begin March 2.

My apartment building is literally across the street from the campus, which is pretty nice. The city has a huge public transit system,and I have been exploring it some.

Other points of interest.

-I went to a Crossfit center and did my first international Crossfit workout (for those who don't know just google "crossfit"). I also went for a run today, so I am beat and ready for a good night of shut eye. As I complete this entry it is fast approaching 12:30 am my time (this entry was created in multiple settings because it has been awhile since I have had to type and put my creative juices into play.)

-Supposedly the Uni (that is Aussie shorthand for University) has a wicked outing club, so I will get involved with that and spend a fair amount of time in the great outdoors once the bush fires calm down. On the note of the bush fires, please keep those effected in your thoughts and prayers. Many people lost all of their possession and a large number have lost their lives. I am in no immediate danger but please keep those affected in your prayers.

Until the next entry percolates forth...

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome--that guy made Friday Night Lights worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly you would prioritize doing Crossfit upon arrival. I'm surprised you weren't doing kettle bell swings on the airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you ever make it to nz i have a friend working there right now. she's really cool and you should meet her if you have the chance.

    ReplyDelete